Into week 6 on this new way of eating and I've only lost 5lbs. I lost that 5lbs in the first 8 days and its been weeks and weeks since the scale has moved. I almost cried when I got on the scale Saturday morning and I was actually 1 pound heavier. Im not sure why it seems to work so well for everyone else...I do follow the eating plan. I have lost some inches so that's good, but unfortunately the heavy dose of beans and meat just makes me feel heavy and constipated. Just not sure its for me anymore...I started out on Jan 31 weiging 176. I now fluctuate between 171 and 173. My goal for the last 3 weeks has been to get into the next pound range. into the 160's....even 169. But in 3 weeks I haven't been able to manage to lose even 4 lbs..
Breakfast within 30 min waking - either protein shake if I can't force real food down, or 2 egg whites, 1 egg, spinach and blakc beans
Lunch - salad with 1/2 can tuna - all kinds of veggies, but no corn, limited tomato no carrot. 1 tbsp flax seed oil and 1/2 lemon for dressing. I may substiture some other leftover protein
Dinner - Baked broiled fish, chicken or steak, lots of steamed veggies
dessert - once in a great while - sugar free jello
Snack - If I feel the need for that "second lunch" tim talks about I may do 1/4 cup cottage cheese or a1/4 cup lentils with some tuna and lemon.
Thats it folks. Its actually not too different from how I normally eat, except I've NEVER eaten breakfast
I think it may be time to do soemthing else....
The Best Answer
I am not going to give you one of those sappy motivational speeches about keeping a stiff upper lip and all that. I hear you're frustrated and it can't be easy seeing others have success and feeling like you are not seeing results. It sucks, I get it, but take it from someone who has yo-yoed with weight for the better part of 3 decades, a 5 pound loss, plus inches lost, is something to celebrate, even if you have not gotten the exact results you were looking for. That said, the whole point of 4HB is self-experimentation, so if it is not exactly working for you, you need to switch it up and see what does.
1) TF talks about how hard this diet can be for women, and mentions specifically to give it 4-6 weeks. who knows, maybe weeks 7-8 will be crazy loss...
2) it seems to me you may not be getting enough protein at breakfast (1 whole large egg has 6 grams protein, which would give you about 12 total grams from your eggs/whites). You don't mention how much beans you are eating, but they should be limited to about 1/4 cup at breakfast. Maybe try adding some turkey bacon or another egg to get that 30 grams. Also, not sure how much spinach, but I aim for it to be equal to all the other food (i.e. a full plate of just steamed spinach, separate plate of eggs, beans, turkey bacon)/
3) Also re: breakfast, what is that protein shake? are you sure whatever mix you are using is SCD compliant (many powders have dairy and/or sweeteners that could stall fat loss).
4) water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. you don't mention your water intake and that could definitely help speed up the process. First off, drink at least two glasses of ice water before breakfast (this will do double duty as cold will get your metabolism moving as well). Second, drink all day like your life depends on it. I go to the bathroom like an 80-year-old man with prostate issues, and the secretaries on the floor look at me like I am nuts, but it definitely helps.
5) have you tried any of the cold therapy body hacks? personally i can't stand cold showers/baths and use ice packs on weeknights when I remember. no idea how much this actually helps, but every little bit counts. I assume San Diego rules out "cold walks" but you could try something.
6) you don't mention exercise. from what I have read on this site, sometimes stalling can be due to too much cardio, so not sure if this applies to you. if you are on the other end (i.e. not exercising) perhaps start out trying some of the routines in the book and see how that affects your loss.
7) caliente! I eat a lot of spicy stuff 'cuz TF mentioned that can speed up metabolism. even if you don't love spicy foods, maybe try adding some cayenne pepper to your spinach in the am or a few jalapenos to your salad. may help to kickstart that metabolism.
8 ) SCALES SUCK. you mention that you lost inches, which is great. have you measured your bf%? if not, I highly recommend measuring and following that. think about it, if you only lost 2 pounds up until now, but knew that you dropped 5-10% body fat, it would probably motivate you to keep at it.
Sorry for the rambling, but I see you are struggling and want to help in any way possible. No matter what you decide, we are all behind you and believe that you, and everyone here, can ultimately reach your goals.
I'm gonna let all the others give their good advice, but right off the top, I don't see that you are getting any fats! It seems counterintuitive, but you have to get enough good fats in order to shed fat. I'd add olive oil, butter, ghee, coconut oil, nuts or avocado at meals.
I recently skipped dinner a couple of evenings because of too much stress going on with my daughter's health. On those nights, I had only decaf tea with heavy cream, and an assortment of nuts, maybe 3/4 of a cup or so, in lieu of dinner. After the first night, I was down 2.5 lbs. After the second night, down another lb. It might not work for everyone, but I thought it was fascinating. I know you'd probably be afraid to experiment with increasing fats, since we are all so conditioned to think that it's about calories.
I'd skip the protein shakes completely. Would you be able to manage a very small steak or other type of "dinner" food for breakfast? 1 whole egg plus 2 whites is only giving you 13g of protein, if they are from large eggs. You'd get add'l protein from the beans and veggies too, but I'm not sure it's reaching that 30g minimum mark.
I think the fact that it's "not too different from how you normally eat" is very telling. I'm betting you're just not eating enough!
Increase water like mad.
(Also -- are you constipated? Accumulated waste can really show on the scale! You very well COULD be a little backed up, if you are kinda low on fat intake. An avocado will fix that right away!)