SCD + Occam's Protocol
Well it has been a long thought provoking week. I still want to lose weight and was thinking of doing the SCD for another month but I decided that it might be worth trying OP because:
1. It would break up my fat loss into spurts over time... I wonder how good is it if I lose 30lbs in 2 months? (Lost 14.2 lbs last month)
2. It should make it easier to lose weight if I have more muscles (and a higher standing metabolic rate)
3. Ok lets face it, its more fun! I get to eat more... right? So this was the tricky question!
In the book, he seems to say this "Start with a SCD base, add starches to lunch and dinner." but does that mean only on training days? Does that mean everyday? I wasn't comfortable with this considering how hard I worked last month to drop 14 lbs so I was torn.
Eventually what I have come up with was
1. Add starches to lunch and dinner on training days (in reality I kind of use these as mini cheat days, enjoy whatever but dont binge)
2. Add a starch to lunch the day after
So I am not sure if this is ideal but it seems to be working for me. I feel stronger and I hope I am building muscle (too early to tell yet) but I am definitely not gaining weight and even broke into a new low today!
I hope this means that I am building muscle and burning fat, if so, this rocks!!!
I will keep you all posted on my progress, if anyone has any thoughts on this please share them... I asked a question about this earlier but it didn't get an answer.... I can't imagine I am the only one in this situation.
Regardless, I am feeling good and looking forward to seeing the results of this experiment!
The Best Answer
I remember in the book, he mentioned that eating more frequently to break up the caloric load was a way to keep the fat gain at a minimum but still maximize muscle gain.
If you're still looking to lose fat, I would only add starches on training days.
Track your progress and what your doing & eating. Keep us posted!
I'd like to share this with you all. I figure we all here are trying this hybrid SCD/OP so any extra online help would be nice. This article by Charles Poliquin gives tips on how to prep your meals on the days for workouts. Currently due to SCD we do most of these but it is nice to read further explanations. For instance, he mentions that working out on an empty stomach is not as advantageous as with a low fat - high protein meal. Hope it helps.
Join the 4 Hour Body Superhumans!