1 month on the SCD and only weight gain :(
I need help and expertise! I've been following the SCD for a month now and haven't seen weight loss on the scale. I've read the book many times, and following the rules really closely. My starting weight was 147lbs, the lowest I went is 146lbs and now I'm at 150lbs! Here is what I do:
- 30 minutes of waking up, I eat 1 egg+ 3-4 egg whites (pan fried in 1 tsp of coconut oil) + veggies (asparagus) + 1/2 cup of beans or lentils + sugar free all natural salsa. 2 glasses of cold water
- at work I make a black/green tea and put a little unsweetened almond milk in it.
- I workout at lunch, so I make a Microwave muffin (1/4 flax seeds, 1 tsp coconut oil, 1 egg, 2 tsp cinnamon and some unsweetened coconut flakes or cocoa nibs and 1 tsp baking powder (yes I should swap that for tartar cream and baking soda)
- Lunch: usually a big salad with some leftovers of the night before (Salmon, chicken, tofu, tempeh...) with 1/2 cup of beans, my dressing is only olive/avocado oil, apple cider/balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard
- Then around 3:30 I'm super hungry, I have some carrots with hummus (no sugar, all natural)
- Dinner: Protein, veggies, but no beans (I read some other posts suggesting to cut the beans at night for fat loss) sometimes 1/2 an avocado. 1 glass of red wine (4x a week). I finish my dinner with 1 or 2 square of 100% raw cocoa chocolate. I need a "dessert" I know I gotta get rid of this,... But I don't crave sugar.. I just can't finish my diner with a taste of fish!
- before bed, some egg white fried in coconut oil or 1 to 2 tsp of almond butter.
Everything I eat is sugar free, sweetener free, all natural and mostly organic. I do eat a lot of soy, I consider myself part time carnivore...
Also I try (having a hard time) to drink 2 liters of water.
What else... well cheat days, maybe I'm doing them to much, but I'm really eating whatever I want, I start with a SCD breakfast, and then when I'm hungry, grapefruit juice and my DGW day really starts. I had a duck and three cheese poutine last Saturday... and lots lots of dessert) I don't do the specific exercises, but I always have an active cheat day.
Another interesting fact, I am always bloated in late afternoon..... any clues why?
I'm working out (not insanely, some cardio and weight lifting) 2-3 x a week.
I know it's a lot of info, but I really need your help on this!! Any suggestion is REALLY appreciated!!
***** Extra info***
Would just like to say, I'm a 26 yrs old woman, 5"10, 150lbs, 24% body fat I have about 10-15 pounds to lose and build muscles. I'm average let's say, but I want to see abs and get rid of that pear shape! My BMI is something like 22 (even if this is not a good measure according to TF)... yep I think that's it!
The Best Answer
Here's my two cents.
Firstly, it sometimes takes women 5-6 weeks before they actually start seeing results. Combination of hormones, menstrual cycle, general unfairness in the world.
That said, you're gonna need a few adjustments to your meal plan:
Breakfast - get more protein - I don't think your eggs are providing the 30grams you need. Aim for 40 grams. I do 2-3 eggs with 1/2 cup of egg whites.
Drink more water!
Workout snack - is this neccesary? For what? If you're hungry, eat more at breakfast. The flax is probably the reason for the bloat.
Lunch: Make sure you get at least 20 grams of protein. I would aim for more like 30 grams for both lunch and protein.
Drink more water!
Snack: You should not be starving at this point. Eat more at lunch. Add more fat and protein.
If you do need something, skip the carrot, go for celery stick. How much hummus? That can be a showstopper too. I would opt instead for a hardboiled egg or a small piece of leftover meat or 1/4 of avocado if you are really hungry. The protein and fat will keep you more satiated and won't spike your insulin like carrots and hummus.
Drink more water!
Dinner: Ditch the wine. I know TF said was ok for him but many have found it stalled their progress. The 100% raw chocolate isn't horribly bad but the habit of 'needing' a dessert is. Finish off dinner with brushing your teeth
Drink more water!
Post-dinner snack: Nothing wrong with the egg white. However, this indicates one of two things. Either you're still hungry because you're not eating enough. Or you have a snacking habit which you should consider breaking since it's not to feed your body but to feed your boredom or is a psychological rut you've fallen into.
Oh yeah and drink more water!
3-4 litres. Make it a goal. It will be a gamechanger.
Hey there. Stick it out, you will get through it.
- Have you measured total inches? Do you feel/see any tightening up? Have you tried some other form of body fat measurements?
- I am no expert but some of the things listed seem borderline legal for the SCD... I have had sugarfree Jello after meals when I want the dessert feeling, not every day though. Also, I have started to have a celery stick w/ a little almond butter before bed.
- On Cheat days do you do damage control? I would highly recommend an SCD breakfast, and the exercises...
- Have you considered the PAGG stack?
This is random, and my sample data is small but I have been losing a lot the past 2 weeks when I started to do this so I figured I would share I was drinking wine (I sometimes go beyond the 2 glass limit which I have to work on) late at night and decided to try and curb that. Instead, I had my 2 glasses earlier and then around 10 or 11 (I try to sleep by 11 or 12) I would have a glass of tea with cinnamon. Making this minor change may not be the reason bu I have started to make huge progress.
Anyway, I know how frustrating it can be to not see progress but keep it up and with a little fine tuning you will be successful!
Hello there! I started three weeks ago Tuesday. When I weighed myself on Monday morning, the scale showed a 5 pound weight loss. Just for kicks, I weighed this morning and it showed that I had gained the weight back and one pound, but.... my pants are so baggy that I am going to have to stop on the way home from work and buy some new ones. I think arctichacker's post was spot on. Eat more protein and veggies and up your water intake. You have to experiment to find your correct water balance. I drank 4 liters yesterday and it made me feel super exhausted by the end of the day where 3 liters the day before left me feeling energized. PMS can also be a factor. If you are feeling tired like arctichacker said, increase the protein. Good luck and please keep us posted!
Everyone has already given great tips and if you incorporate the changes that they suggest you will likely start seeing results. YAY!
One thing you may want to try if those suggestions don't work is tracking your macronutrients for a week or two (MyFitnessPal is rad and free) as you are using a fair bit of oil and a 1/4 c of flax has around 200 cals...as much as Tim says 'no counting calories' I think that people who are closer to their goal body fat % or weight have to be a little more careful.
Best of luck to you!
Great question, and a lot of useful information from the answers already posted.
I have one extra thing to suggest: Before SCD I was a between meal snacker, but I've discovered that what I usually wanted was a break or a reward. I've replaced food snacking with gourmet tea from David's Tea. They have all kinds of flavors - even chocolatey ones, so you feel like you're having a snack, and you get to take a break and feel rewarded, not restricted. Obviously you can't add any honey or sugar, but the teas are so good they don't need it.
btw, I laughed when I saw you are eating poutine on cheat day. Montrealer? : )
with that height/weight you might not expect much loss, rather transform fat into muscles, they weight the same or even more.
I'd skip the focus on weight loss at the moment and look for strength and definition, so intensify training.
I think at that point (your weight is what most of us dream about) it needs more muscle to change the look.
Join the 4 Hour Body Superhumans!