Homemade Lentil Soup
I make a double batch of this lentil soup to eat throughout the week, then freeze the rest for later.
1.5 onions diced
1 Carrot, diced
4 cloves minced garlic
2 sprigs Thyme
1 bay leaf
2/3 cup Lentils
4-6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 lb diced plum tomatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
- Heat the olive oil and cook the diced onions on low heat until translucent and the color of a golden raisin.
- Add the tomatoes & 1/2tsp garlic and cook for another 30 minutes. Use a strainer to drain the oil from the mixture.
- In another pan, cook the bacon on medium high heat until crispy and then cut into strips.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the bacon into a large saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils have cooked.
- Remove the carrot, onion, bay leaf, and thyme sprigs.
- Add the bacon to the soup and serve!
Vote for the Best Answer
Looks great! I'm making this right now: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2010/10/lentil-stew-783-recipe-078-serving.html
It smells/looks great!!
Thanks for the recipe Laura! I'm going to try and make this tonight!
Just out of curiosity though, why did you take out the carrot in the end? I know its not one of the veggies he listed out in the slow-card diet, but just one carrot in the entirety of the whole soup can't possibly be that bad for you, right? He even mentions in the Slow-Carb Diet II that if you need a snack, go for carrot (just don't binge).
Join the 4 Hour Body Superhumans!